Thursday, July 29, 2010

Transitional Shelters to Be Converted Into Permanent Homes

I am so happy today! Building the transitional communities is incredible and, thanks to our partners, is going smoothly. I finally had some time to turn my attention to the needs of some of the people who own their own property but lost their homes.

While we, sadly, lack the funds to distribute all 500 of the shelters we have been allotted for this purpose, with the 'go-ahead' to distribute four of them, I made arrangements to have three of them delivered to their intended sites today. The other one will be delivered by the middle of next week.

The first one was delivered to 64-year-old Andre Mathurin (left). He was so overjoyed - all he kept saying was "I pray for you, I pray for you!". Rebecca, he was so happy to talk with you on the phone. He says you are an angel from God and he prays for you every day. (Note: He also wanted me to remind you that he needs more of the protein supplement we send to him).

The second shelter will be dropped off to a group of elderly widows who live way off of the main road. If you recall, one of them came to me about three weeks after the quake and said they had received no aid at all. She took me to where their little hut had been and showed me where the five of them were living under sheets hung from a little tree. It was so pitiful and I have shared Rebecca's heart for sheltering them as we found we were able to do so.

The third shelter will be delivered to an elderly couple who lost their home. They can't even find the words to express how they feel.

The plan is to apply the technology I learned from Charly as we constructed Pastor Danley's house and convert these temporary shelters into permanent homes (right). The cost per home is only $495.00 (for plywood walls, protectant oil, and the materials to screen the windows). An added bonus is that I will be having our boys help with these conversions. This will add to their growing knowledge of construction skills.

These enhanced shelters should provide nice, little homes for these elderly folks for the remainder of their lives. I call that a really good investment!

Serving Him,
Roody

No comments:

Post a Comment